Charles P. Lazarus founded Children’s Supermarket in Washington, D.C., during the post -war baby boom era in 1948 as a baby-furniture retailer. Lazarus began receiving requests from customers for baby toys. After adding baby toys, he got requests for toys for older children. The focus of the store changed in 1957, and Toys “R” Us was born in Rock ville, Maryland. Toys “R” Us was acquired in 1966 by Interstate Department Stores, Inc., owner of the White Front, Topps Chains and Children’s Bargain Town USA, a sister toy-store chain to Toys “R” Us in the American Midwest that would later be re-branded as part of the Toys “R” Us chain. The original Toys “R” Us store design from 1969 to 1989 consisted of vertical rainbow stripes and a brown roof with a front entrance and side exit.
At its peak, Toys “R” Us was considered a classic example of a category killer, a business that specializes so thoroughly and efficiently in one sector that it pushes out competition from both smaller specialty stores and larger general retailers
The company’s brands include Toys “R” Us, and Babies “R” Us. It also operates e-commerce sites including ToysRUs.com and BabiesRUs.com